Newtown Veterinary Specialists is seeking an experienced Ophthalmology Technician to join the team at our progressive, 24-hour specialty and emergency hospital in Newtown, CT. Together with our highly skilled emergency doctors and board-certified specialists, our team enjoys the opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills every day and are used to their fullest capacity. *Please note that this position is not entry level and any candidates must be confident in performing essential clinical skills.
Essential job functions:
- Perform diagnostics on dogs and cats with diseases and injuries of the ocular system.
- Patient restraint for doctors to examine the eyes in an appropriate and safe manner.
- Handling pre and post-operative patient care
- Monitor anesthetized patients while procedures are being performed.
- Maintain and clean equipment/environment on a daily basis.
- Handle people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact, and professionalism.
- Will be scheduled into other veterinary services when needed or when schedule permits.
- Communicate with referring veterinarian staff.
- Communicate and work closely with all of the NVS technical staff & doctors.
- Advise clients about drop off schedules, sanitary measures, and general care to promote health of the ocular system.
- Presence in hospital rounds at the beginning and end of shifts as needed.
- Assistance in completion of medical records (including reading and understanding discharge instructions, treatment sheets, and keeping records of client/rDVM communication) at the time of correspondence.
- Attendance at tech meetings
- Proficient in IV catheters placement, blood work, venipuncture, induction, intubation, anesthesia, IM and SQ injections
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
- A minimum of 1+ year of experience as an ophthalmology technician in an emergency/referral setting.
- A strong work ethic, good organizational and multi-tasking skills & a willingness to be flexible with scheduled hours.
- A professional and respectful demeanor
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
Apply online at www.petvetcareers.com.